[parml] Ομιλία Βάσιας Καλαβρή, Τετάρτη, 10/7

Georgios Goumas goumas at cslab.ece.ntua.gr
Thu Jul 4 11:27:32 EEST 2019

Καλημέρα,

Τη Τετάρτη 10/7, στις 14:30 στο Αμφιθέατρο Πολυμέσων της Κεντρικής
Βιβλιοθήκης, έχουμε τη χαρά να φιλοξενούμε την ομιλία της Βάσιας
Καλαβρή, ερευνήτριας στο ETH. Στη συνέχεια μπορείτε να βρείτε
λεπτομέρειες της ομιλίας και βιογραφικό της ομιλήτριας.

Χαιρετισμους,

Γιώργος Γκούμας

Title: Long-running data stream analytics at scale

Abstract

—————

While the early wave of big data technologies focused largely on
accommodating the scale and complexity of available information,
emerging data-driven applications additionally require low-latency and
continuously updated results. Stream processing renounces the
traditional view of static data inputs and instead advocates for
long-running analysis of possibly unbounded event streams.

In this talk, I discuss fundamental research challenges in building
next-generation streaming systems capable of automatic re-configuration
without downtime. I will share recent work on an automatic scaling
controller which makes fast and accurate scaling decisions via
lightweight runtime instrumentation and a comprehensive dataflow
performance model. I will conclude with open problems and future
directions in automatic, long-running operation of streaming
computations and large-scale continuous data analytics in general.

Bio

—————

Vasiliki (Vasia) Kalavri is a postdoctoral fellow at the Systems Group
of ETH Zurich and an Adjunct Assistant Professor in the Department of
Computer Science at Boston University. Her research interests include
distributed stream processing, large-scale graph analytics, and the
intersection of the two. Vasia has a joint PhD from KTH, Stockholm, and
UCLouvain, Belgium, where she was an EMJD-DC fellow. Her PhD thesis
received the IBM Innovation Award 2017. Vasia is also a PMC member of
Apache Flink and co-author of O’Reilly’s “Stream Processing with Apache
Flink”.

--
Georgios I. Goumas
Assistant Professor